You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erase Catalina volume?

MBP 13 2020 Intel purchased in Sep 2020 with Catalina

Jan 1 I installed Big Sur in a test volume. It's working great compared to the 3 months I tried to use Catalina - no more Thunderbolt 3 unplug crashes, work VPN is all set up and supported now, iCloud Photos downloaded cleanly in the background without the photoanalysisd hogging my CPU for over a month (really, it's still going if I boot in to Catalina).

I want to keep the Big Sur Test volume - I don't want any of Catalina's problems to linger and I don't want to have to reset up everything again when it's working well.

How do I erase the Catalina volume and data? All the instructions I find are to delete the test volume and upgrade Catalina to Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 12:45 PM

nvm - Figured it out on my own - I deleted the Macintosh HD and data volumes - I wasn't clear whether I could since they were in the same container as the BigSurTest volumes.

Similar questions

4 replies

erase Catalina volume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.