You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation of old computer files to new MacBook air went smoothly except I had problems signing in and had to redo passwords several times. I think I have two accounts on my new notebook. Is it best to remove everything loaded and begin again?

Bought new MacBook Air, replacing late 2013 MacBook pro. Followed instructions to transfer information to new Air from Pro, using Migration Assistant. Without realizing it, I believe I have two accounts on the Air. I cannot get into Safari, nor to my new Office. I clicked on one of the round photos, and may have chose my new account over old, and deleted the other? Not sure. How can I remedy this mess. Is it best to figure out how to remove all data I put on the Air, and begin again, "smarter" next time?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 8:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 9:01 AM

The easiest way to get rid of the mess is to start over. That means going to recovery, erasing the disk, and download/install the OS from scratch. While installing, take advantage of the Setup Assistant (which is only available during the initial install) and choose to transfer stuff with it. That way you wind up with one account.

If you use Migration Assistant later, you already have an account on the new device, so it will transfer the old account and you wind up with two.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2021 9:01 AM in response to judithfromjanesville

The easiest way to get rid of the mess is to start over. That means going to recovery, erasing the disk, and download/install the OS from scratch. While installing, take advantage of the Setup Assistant (which is only available during the initial install) and choose to transfer stuff with it. That way you wind up with one account.

If you use Migration Assistant later, you already have an account on the new device, so it will transfer the old account and you wind up with two.

Installation of old computer files to new MacBook air went smoothly except I had problems signing in and had to redo passwords several times. I think I have two accounts on my new notebook. Is it best to remove everything loaded and begin again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.