You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software-related issues on HomePod mini

Hi!

I found myself having trouble using the HomePod mini to the most of its abilities.

The Handoff function sometimes doesn’t work but it is impossible to tell when it will pop up nor how. The option found in General>Handoff is always active regardless.

Some other times, Siri will refuse to make a call on my behalf. When asked to call one of my contacts, she will bring up “I’m sorry —; but I couldn’t find — in your contacts”

A manual reset (top of the HomePod red-spinning circle) does not seem to help. The HomePod is up to date.

Any clues?

Many thanks,

HomePod mini, 14

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 7:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 10:12 AM

Hi ThomasM2,

We understand you're experiencing a couple of issues with Handoff and Siri. There are a few steps we would recommend.

First, ensure that the HomePod mini and iOS device are up to date:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Update HomePod

Next, check that the Apple ID signed in for iCloud on the iOS device is the same Apple ID set as the default account for HomePod

If the Apple IDs are different, make sure the iCloud Apple ID has been invited to the HomeKit setup that the HomePod is a part of:

Share control of your home

You'll also want to confirm iCloud Keychain is enabled for the Apple ID:

Set up iCloud Keychain

In addition, make sure the iOS device is awake and unlocked when you attempt to initiate audio handoff. Are the iOS device and HomePod are on the same Wi-Fi network? We ask as some routers broadcast two networks - 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The iOS device and HomePod have to be on exactly the same network.

Once all of the above is confirmed, remove any protective casing from the iOS device. Restart the router, the HomePod, and iOS device and test again. Then test Audio Handoff using a Phone call:

Use HomePod for phone calls

And lastly, try changing Speaker & TV settings in Home Settings to Everyone

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2021 10:12 AM in response to ThomasM2

Hi ThomasM2,

We understand you're experiencing a couple of issues with Handoff and Siri. There are a few steps we would recommend.

First, ensure that the HomePod mini and iOS device are up to date:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Update HomePod

Next, check that the Apple ID signed in for iCloud on the iOS device is the same Apple ID set as the default account for HomePod

If the Apple IDs are different, make sure the iCloud Apple ID has been invited to the HomeKit setup that the HomePod is a part of:

Share control of your home

You'll also want to confirm iCloud Keychain is enabled for the Apple ID:

Set up iCloud Keychain

In addition, make sure the iOS device is awake and unlocked when you attempt to initiate audio handoff. Are the iOS device and HomePod are on the same Wi-Fi network? We ask as some routers broadcast two networks - 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The iOS device and HomePod have to be on exactly the same network.

Once all of the above is confirmed, remove any protective casing from the iOS device. Restart the router, the HomePod, and iOS device and test again. Then test Audio Handoff using a Phone call:

Use HomePod for phone calls

And lastly, try changing Speaker & TV settings in Home Settings to Everyone

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Jan 25, 2021 1:10 PM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks a million for all of these helpful tips!

The problem did not show up again but I'm sure your answer will prove helpful in case the problem shows up again.

Randy, I'd like to thank you equally for your advice, the Fitness Tracking option is active but that definitely is something to watch for in case the problem would reemerge.

Thanks to both of you,

Software-related issues on HomePod mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.