You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this Time Machine change with Big Sur correct?

I have a new MacBook Pro with Big Sur. I use an external drive for some documents and up to now Time Machine was backing up my external drive without problems. I could not get Time Machine with Big Sur to backup my external drive. I called Apple Support and they told me that Big Sur has changed Time Machine and that now it can only backup the internal hard drive.

This sounds to me a little incredible, that is, that the new OS would set such a limitation to a good functionality of the previous one. I just want to verify that in your experience this reply by Apple Support is correct and that I now need to use a third party backup application.

Thanks for your time.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 7:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 7:40 AM

TM can still include an external drive when backing up. Open a backup file and you'll see the external drive appears as a back-upped element. If not: go to SystemPreferences, TimeMachine, Options and check if the external drive isn't excluded

New is that it is advised to format a new backupdrive in the APFS format. If you keep using a backup drive that is already formatted in MacOs Journaled extended, it doesn't cause a problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 20, 2021 7:40 AM in response to Rojmer

TM can still include an external drive when backing up. Open a backup file and you'll see the external drive appears as a back-upped element. If not: go to SystemPreferences, TimeMachine, Options and check if the external drive isn't excluded

New is that it is advised to format a new backupdrive in the APFS format. If you keep using a backup drive that is already formatted in MacOs Journaled extended, it doesn't cause a problem.

Is this Time Machine change with Big Sur correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.