You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to a USB-c charger for iPad 8th generation?

Do I have to use a USB-c charger for my iPad 8th generation?

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 6:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 6:08 AM

No you don’t have to use a USB-C Power Adapter, but you’ll achieve the fastest possible charging rates (20W) if you do.

Should you wish to do so, you can use a standard USB Power Adapter. The maximum charging rate of your iPad will be limited to 12W (2.4A @5V). Higher wattage chargers will not increase the maximum supported charge rate of the iPad. Note also that iPad requires a Power Adapter rated to at least 10W to reliably charge.

You’ll obviously require the correct charging cable to connect your iPad to your chosen Power Adapter - either a Lightning to USB-C, or a Lightning to USB Type-A.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 21, 2021 6:08 AM in response to USB-cx

No you don’t have to use a USB-C Power Adapter, but you’ll achieve the fastest possible charging rates (20W) if you do.

Should you wish to do so, you can use a standard USB Power Adapter. The maximum charging rate of your iPad will be limited to 12W (2.4A @5V). Higher wattage chargers will not increase the maximum supported charge rate of the iPad. Note also that iPad requires a Power Adapter rated to at least 10W to reliably charge.

You’ll obviously require the correct charging cable to connect your iPad to your chosen Power Adapter - either a Lightning to USB-C, or a Lightning to USB Type-A.

Do I have to a USB-c charger for iPad 8th generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.