You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime audio microphone waves not working

I switched to an iPhone X and my MacBook Pro asked me if I wanted to make wifi calls on my Mac. Of course I do so I clicked yes. Now for some reason the little waves that tell me what the audio level is on the FaceTime call box are no longer moving. They worked fine yesterday, but not today. Any thoughts?

I'm using the latest version of Big Sur.

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 1:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 7:59 AM

Dbmorley,

Thank you for that information. What version of the iOS is currently installed on your iPhone X? The latest version is iOS 14.4. You can check for updates by going to Settings > General > Software updates.

Did you get a chance to try in another user on your Mac to see if this continues?

Also, on your iPhone X, if you go to Settings > Cellular, is Wi-Fi Calling turned on or off there?

On your Mac, go to the FaceTime app > FaceTime menu > Preferences and turn off Calls from iPhone and then switch it back on to see if this continues.

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling

Cheers!

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2021 7:59 AM in response to dbmorley

Dbmorley,

Thank you for that information. What version of the iOS is currently installed on your iPhone X? The latest version is iOS 14.4. You can check for updates by going to Settings > General > Software updates.

Did you get a chance to try in another user on your Mac to see if this continues?

Also, on your iPhone X, if you go to Settings > Cellular, is Wi-Fi Calling turned on or off there?

On your Mac, go to the FaceTime app > FaceTime menu > Preferences and turn off Calls from iPhone and then switch it back on to see if this continues.

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling

Cheers!

Jan 25, 2021 7:17 AM in response to dbmorley

Dbmorley,

Thank you for that screenshot and clarifying that information. You mentioned shutting down and restarting, do you mean closing out of FaceTime complete and then restarting your Mac? Does this happen with every contact or specific contacts? Can the contact hear you? Can you hear them?

You can trying signing out of FaceTime and signing back in: Sign in to or out of FaceTime on Mac

You can also test it in another user to see if this is happening system wide: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

Hope that helps!

Jan 24, 2021 12:03 PM in response to dbmorley

dbmorley,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. We notice that no one has responded to your question and would like to get some more information that may help the community provide some insight.

• Can you provide a screenshot of the audio call box you are referring to?
  • Are there any troubleshooting steps you've tried such as restarting your Mac?

Good Luck!

FaceTime audio microphone waves not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.