You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching iCloud storage plans for a family member

For years I have purchased a 50GB plan for my daughter on her own Apple ID, and a 200GB plan for myself on my Apple ID. I have just updated my family account to 400GB shared. How does my daughter switch without losing any of the data already stored in her 50GB plan?

Thanks much,

Peter

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 2:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 3:55 PM

In the paragraph Invite People to Join Your Family on the Set Up Family Sharing page Apple describes the process of inviting family members to a group. They retain all access to their existing space, but when they accept the invitation will have the storage capacity of the Family group.

The billing for her old 50GB plan will cease.

There is no 400GB plan. This sounds like you have commenced an Apple One subscription where you had an existing 200GB iCloud Storage plan. As described here, you are in the free trial period of Apple One and enjoy the 200GB iCloud storage plan an addition to the 200GB of the trial Apple One plan. "During the free trial, you keep both your current iCloud storage plan and the iCloud storage in Apple One. Once the trial has finished, your current iCloud storage plan will be cancelled. Your total iCloud storage will be the amount included in your Apple One subscription."

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2021 3:55 PM in response to artysan

In the paragraph Invite People to Join Your Family on the Set Up Family Sharing page Apple describes the process of inviting family members to a group. They retain all access to their existing space, but when they accept the invitation will have the storage capacity of the Family group.

The billing for her old 50GB plan will cease.

There is no 400GB plan. This sounds like you have commenced an Apple One subscription where you had an existing 200GB iCloud Storage plan. As described here, you are in the free trial period of Apple One and enjoy the 200GB iCloud storage plan an addition to the 200GB of the trial Apple One plan. "During the free trial, you keep both your current iCloud storage plan and the iCloud storage in Apple One. Once the trial has finished, your current iCloud storage plan will be cancelled. Your total iCloud storage will be the amount included in your Apple One subscription."

Jan 23, 2021 8:32 PM in response to artysan

The parallel iCloud Storage and the trial Apple One storage couldn't really be done any other way. If the trial cancelled your existing plan, but you then decided not to go ahead with the paid version of Apple One you'd have no storage plan to go back to. It's an intermediate stage before you commit to the new one.

I've upgraded my family to the 200GB plan and it's now proving to be insufficient. I wonder how long 2TB will be the limit!

Switching iCloud storage plans for a family member

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.