You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I update my new ipad 10.2 to OS12?

Am I able to update my newest ipad 10.2 to OS12, so I can transfer data, etc., from my old ipad?

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 2:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 5:33 PM

You cannot use the wireless, smart data transfer procedure with old, 8-9-year old iPad models.

To transfer the data from old iPad to new iPad, you have access to a full computer, like a Mac or Windows PC, try either using the Finder on a Mac that has the newest macOS Catalina installed OR with an older Mac with an older Mac OS, download and install the latest iTunes version ( or latest iTunes for Windows PC ), make sure the Mac or Windows PC is connected to the Internet, connect your iPad by the USB charge cable to the computer and let the iTunes application to do the old iPad backup to iTunes on a compute, then do an iTunes data restore connecting up the new iPad to the computer.

OR

Use Apple iCloud to do the backup of your old iPad ( you may need to pay for extra iCloud storage ), then do an iCloud data restore to the new iPad.

Best of Luck to You!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2021 5:33 PM in response to Bridgit123

You cannot use the wireless, smart data transfer procedure with old, 8-9-year old iPad models.

To transfer the data from old iPad to new iPad, you have access to a full computer, like a Mac or Windows PC, try either using the Finder on a Mac that has the newest macOS Catalina installed OR with an older Mac with an older Mac OS, download and install the latest iTunes version ( or latest iTunes for Windows PC ), make sure the Mac or Windows PC is connected to the Internet, connect your iPad by the USB charge cable to the computer and let the iTunes application to do the old iPad backup to iTunes on a compute, then do an iTunes data restore connecting up the new iPad to the computer.

OR

Use Apple iCloud to do the backup of your old iPad ( you may need to pay for extra iCloud storage ), then do an iCloud data restore to the new iPad.

Best of Luck to You!

Jan 23, 2021 2:46 PM in response to Bridgit123

I do not understand.

Is this “newest” iPad an iPad running iOS 10.2 or a 2019/2018 7th/8th gen 10.2 inch screen iPad model?

A 2019, 7th gen, 10.2 inch screen iPad should already be running a version of iPadOS 13.

What is the “A” and/or “M” model number of this “newer” iPad model and what is the current iOS/iPadOS version is this iPad running?

Also, what is this “newer” iPad’s rated internal data storage capacity?

Jan 23, 2021 5:25 PM in response to Bridgit123

The 2020, 10.2 inch screen iPad has 3 GBs of internal processing RAM and 128 GBs of internal data storage which actually equates to approx. 110 GBs of actual, usable internal data storage space.

A 128 GBs storage iPad starts out with approx.119 GBs., after internal drive formatting.

Minus approx. 6 GBs for iOS/iPadOS leaves 113 GBs.

Minus 2-4 GBs, for iOS/iPadOS system operational reserve, leaves approx. between 109-111 GBs of actual, usable data storage space.

Can I update my new ipad 10.2 to OS12?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.