You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen of death - 2 external monitors work and camera works, but imac does not detect (recognize) it's own screen

I can't get rid of the blank screen of death. I'm thinking there is a chance that the display settings are messed up since I've been using an external monitor.

Here is what I know:

1) The imac's own screen is blank/black

2) 1 and/or 2 external monitors work fine

3) When I tried "detect," it would not find itself (the native screen)

4) The mac logo does not light up

5) For what it's worth, the camera does work (not sure if that helps troubleshoot)

I've tried the multiple options found online with pushing option/shift/command/power and power / r/p and whatever. None of those combinations that apparently "reset" things did not work.

Help? Is there a high level of confidence there that I need to open it up and play with plug/unplug some cable that powers the monitor? That's a last resort for me because I would need to order the tools online and I worry I would void or create problems of getting help from an Apple store on this.

HELP! Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 2:14 PM

5 replies

Jan 26, 2021 7:01 PM in response to raina_b22

Basically those steps just tell me to contact Apple Support, which is not helpful because Apple will just try to charge me an exuberant amount of money to fix this. I would ask that you please read my first post about the problem and everything that I tried already to fix this.

It seems that the mac works fine, and it's just somehow stuck on sending the video output to my external display instead of showing up on the mac itself. Is there a way to reset the display settings?

------------------------------------------

Intel processor

1. Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds.
  2. Press and release the power button, then immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R until you see an Apple logo or other image.
  3. If you still see a blank screen after about 20 seconds, contact Apple Support.

OKAY, SO THIS DOESN'T HELP - IT JUST INSTRUCTS ME TO CONTACT APPLE SUPPORT.

Jan 26, 2021 8:31 AM in response to BlankScreenofDeath

Hello,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If we understand your post correctly, your external monitors have black screens and you want to know how to fix this. We're happy to help!

Below is an article that will provide how to use external monitors with your Mac. 

Use external monitors with your Mac

Also, try the steps provided in this article as well: Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Black screen of death - 2 external monitors work and camera works, but imac does not detect (recognize) it's own screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.