You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

target mode mac pro 2019 not working

Hi,

I am trying to speed up a transfer to my new mac pro using target disk mode as gigbit ethernet will take hours. I got a thunderbolt 2 to 3 connection working but for whatever reason (and i've read this happening elsewhere), the speed was slower than gigabit ethernet.

I finally broke down and put the mac pro into target mode. In target mode, none of its drives mounted for either my mac mini (with a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter+ apple thunderbolt cable Nor with a new macbookair with thunderbolt 3 connected directly by thunderbolt 3 cable. In both cases I connected to each in turn of the two top thunderbolt 3 (usb c sized) holes.

It is feeling like it doesn't work. I do indeed get the moving thunderbolt icon on the screen.

Potential variables (I don't want to mess with):

-There is a bootcamp drive. I don't think this hurt me in the past

-I have the Promise R4i in there with about 5 volumes; at least one of those is ExFAT.

Thanks for any help.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 1:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 7:03 AM

be sure you are religiously following the steps in this article:

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

--------

My experience with Gigabit Ethernet is that it provides "near hard drive" speeds when used with jumbo frames and NO portion Is over Wi-Fi.

Similar questions

1 reply

target mode mac pro 2019 not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.