You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reversing migration assistant

I used migration assistant to transfer rom old iMac to new iMac. For various reasons I need to go back to where I was before using migration assistant. Is there anyway I can restore the “ deleted user” i.e., go back to where I was before using migraton assistant? I put some stuff on new iMac before using migration assistant which I would prefer not to lose. From what I understand I can erase everything & go back to out of box settings, but then I would lose what ready been add to new iMac before doing migration assistant. Thanks...

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 5:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 5:55 PM

Hi Pashaspot,

Unfortunately, you cannot just delete some data, and keep some, then go back to Migration Assistant and setup the Mac again. It will all have to go. However, you can backup your iMac files you want to keep. You can use iCloud, or an external USB stick, or an external hard drive to just "copy and paste" only the files you want to keep. You could also use Time Machine. You can read more here - How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support.

You will then need to Erase your Mac (Which will Erase EVERYTHING), How to erase your Intel-based Mac - Apple Support, then reinstall macOS, How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. This will all be done at the same session, and you need WiFi or internet to do this.

Then, you can put your data on your newly erased Mac however you want to.

Reach out for more help!

Cheers,

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2021 5:55 PM in response to Pashaspot

Hi Pashaspot,

Unfortunately, you cannot just delete some data, and keep some, then go back to Migration Assistant and setup the Mac again. It will all have to go. However, you can backup your iMac files you want to keep. You can use iCloud, or an external USB stick, or an external hard drive to just "copy and paste" only the files you want to keep. You could also use Time Machine. You can read more here - How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support.

You will then need to Erase your Mac (Which will Erase EVERYTHING), How to erase your Intel-based Mac - Apple Support, then reinstall macOS, How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. This will all be done at the same session, and you need WiFi or internet to do this.

Then, you can put your data on your newly erased Mac however you want to.

Reach out for more help!

Cheers,

Jack

Reversing migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.