You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air 2017 external monitor / display

Hello - I have a 2017 Macbook Air. I'd like to purchase an external display that is compatible with this laptop and with a 2019 Lenovo Yoga C930. I previously had the HP E273m but found that I was not able to take advantage of the screen space (I believe this is because the resolution was too low).

I'm wondering a few things now:

1. How do I know if my Macbook Air has a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port?
  2. If I connect to a 4k display, like the LG Ultrafine or Dell U2720Q, will I be able to view things in 4k? Will I experience any problems (e.g. slow/lagged movement on the screen?)
  3. Will the Lenovo be able to connect with the LG or Dell using a single USB-C?
  4. Can anybody recommend a monitor for this situation? I'm also wondering if QHD (2560 X 1440) resolution will get the job done.

I am not very familiar with the territory of screen resolutions, refresh rates, and different port connections beyond some basic internet research. Thank you!

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 8:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 9:51 AM

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?locale=en_US

Your Mac has Thunderbolt 2.

It supports up to 3840x2160 (4K) resolution on a single external display via the Thunderbolt 2 port. TB2 is physically the same as and fully compatible with mini-DisplayPort, so you can connect a mini-DP-to-XX adapter where XX is DisplayPort or HDMI. With the LG UltraFine 4K you can use Apple's TB3-to-2 adapter and a TB2 cable to connect it (see Use the 23.7-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display with your Mac or iPad - Apple Support).

The LG UltraFine won't easily work with a Windows USB-C connection. The Dell display you link has USB-C input for your Lenovo and DP input that will work with your Mac (with a mini-DP-to-DP cable). I'd go that route in your position, unless you plan on abandoning the PC and getting a newer Mac soon.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2021 9:51 AM in response to dgarf25

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?locale=en_US

Your Mac has Thunderbolt 2.

It supports up to 3840x2160 (4K) resolution on a single external display via the Thunderbolt 2 port. TB2 is physically the same as and fully compatible with mini-DisplayPort, so you can connect a mini-DP-to-XX adapter where XX is DisplayPort or HDMI. With the LG UltraFine 4K you can use Apple's TB3-to-2 adapter and a TB2 cable to connect it (see Use the 23.7-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display with your Mac or iPad - Apple Support).

The LG UltraFine won't easily work with a Windows USB-C connection. The Dell display you link has USB-C input for your Lenovo and DP input that will work with your Mac (with a mini-DP-to-DP cable). I'd go that route in your position, unless you plan on abandoning the PC and getting a newer Mac soon.

Macbook Air 2017 external monitor / display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.