You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up a new Mac mini with a wireless keyboard?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 7:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 7:07 PM

This problem is stupid to have, all they have to do is have Bluetooth preferences available from the beginning and done.

Telling someone to “borrow” a wired keyboard for initial setup is ridiculous when the solution has been in the initial setup screens for years.

[Edited by Moderator]

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 9, 2021 7:07 PM in response to Jake LaBarre

This problem is stupid to have, all they have to do is have Bluetooth preferences available from the beginning and done.

Telling someone to “borrow” a wired keyboard for initial setup is ridiculous when the solution has been in the initial setup screens for years.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 29, 2021 7:35 PM in response to Jake LaBarre

Jake LaBarre Said:

"Mac Mini setup: How do I set up a new Mac mini with a wireless keyboard?"

-------

A Couple More Thoughts:

• Contact the Manufacturer:

Contacting the manufacturer of the Bluetooth accessory would help as well. You'd visit their home page, and would the would find their Contact Us link (usually forum on the direct bottom of the page, or on a Contact Us tab.

Jan 29, 2021 8:11 PM in response to Jake LaBarre

Jake LaBarre Said:

"Unfortunately I dont think that works as it is a brand new Mac mini and I am just trying to get through the initial setup. I cant get to the menu"

-------

Troubleshooting this connection:

Try these Apple Support links if it won’t connect.

Jan 29, 2021 7:34 PM in response to Jake LaBarre

Jake LaBarre Said:

"Mac Mini setup: How do I set up a new Mac mini with a wireless keyboard?"

-------

Troubleshooting This:

Try Resetting Mac's Bluetooth Module

I. Show Bluetooth in the menu bar:

1. Go To: System Preferences
  2. Select: Bluetooth
  3. Check: Show Bluetooth in menu bar (Screenshot 1)

II. Then: Reset then Mac's Bluetooth Module:

1. Hold Down: [shift key + option key] simultaneously
  2. Click: the Bluetooth symbol on menu bar (Screenshot 2)
  3. Hover: Cursor over the word "Debug"
  4. Click: Reset the Bluetooth module (Screenshot 3)

III. Restart the Mac:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Restart...
  3. Uncheck: Reopen windows when logging back in
  4. Click: Restart button

IV. Try this Once More:

1. Log In: As same user
  2. Verify: the Bluetooth connectivity

---

Screenshots:

• Screenshot 1:

Show Bluetooth in menu bar:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/81cdcaa3-20b4-4589-b542-4b50cfc35689" height="347" width="537

• Screenshot 2:

Bluetooth symbol on menu bar:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/d68faeb4-3644-41d1-9d5a-c2d640c98fba

• Screenshot 3:

Reset the Bluetooth module:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a4359b49-4a06-4494-813e-913cf9068a6b

Jan 29, 2021 10:28 PM in response to babowa

Yes. You need a wired keyboard to get thru the Setup Assistant. But I've even had problems with that. Had to sent my M1 Mini back. Waiting for a replacement. Some keys didn't work right. Tried two Apple USB keyboards. Then Setup got stuck on the pane where it asks for your Apple ID. No key would work. Rebooted many times. Always stops at same place. Hopefully this was a hardware/software problem and the replacement Mini will fix it. But reading all the M1 Mini related comments here, it looks like Apple's got a problem.

Feb 9, 2021 7:36 PM in response to ACtrip

Bluetooth is not available if the device has never been set up. You cannot set it up without a keyboard.

Always good to have a spare wired keyboard on hand for emergencies. Bluetooth is not infallible.

Calling that stupid and ridiculous is, well, ..........

Looking forward to your “solution” in the initial setup screen.

Feb 9, 2021 8:51 PM in response to babowa

1) It is available since I did it during my initial setup, Catalina had it hidden in the upper right hand corner.

2) Previous versions of Mac OS have always had Bluetooth preferences available from the start.

3) If Bluetooth wasn’t available from the start then why is the first screen on initial start up literally shows you to turn on your Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on?

[Edited by Moderator]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.