You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

captive.apple.com - Paused your device has been paused

Every single computer, phone and tablet that I own or that anybody else who lives here owns connects to my wifi flawlessly except for my iPad. I have no issues whatsoever with any other device in my home nor does anyone else. Yes, I have reset my iPad network settings. Yes, I have restarted my router. I have also had my iPad "forget this network" and re-entered the password. I've done all of this multiple times. I still get a message on my iPad screen, no matter what website i try to connect to, that says "Paused, your device has been paused". At the top of the screen it says captive.apple.com and the name of my wifi is directly underneath it. Why is this happening? Again, this is at my home. I am not someplace else trying to connect to a public network. I am at home trying to connect to my own network. Every single website that I've seen says that I need to reset the network settings on my iPad or I need additional info to log on or that I'm trying to sign in on a public network. None of this is the case. I am at home and every other device in my house is able to connect to the network without any issues. I can't stress this enough. I am actually at home, right now, typing this on my laptop which is successfully connected to my wifi.

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 9:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 7:50 AM

Update! I found that my spouse didn't recognize the name I had assigned to my iPad and had blocked it from accessing our network. This info may be of use to other people who have this issue since it is not mentioned in any of your problem solving suggestions.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 1, 2021 2:52 PM in response to royfrombrooktondale

Hi royfrombrooktondale,

It looks like you are trying to connect your iPad to your home network and when you try to access any apps that require an internet connection you see an error about the device being paused. Being able to connect your device to the network is important to use various apps. We're glad you reached out for help.

It does look like your iPad recognizes your network as a captive Wi-Fi network. For more information about this and how to use this type of network check out the resource below.

Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope this helps. Have a good day!

captive.apple.com - Paused your device has been paused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.