You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset ipad to factory for resale

i have an imac , an iphone, an ipad air and ipad 6th generation . i want to sell the 6th generation . If i do a factory reset on the ipad 6th gen i know everything is wiped but will i loose all the same information on my other devices such as contacta and photos . thanks

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 9:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 2:56 AM

If you have followed the linked procedure, you will have successfully removed the Activation Lock; you will see the initial “Hello” screen on the iPad, this only being seen on a device awaiting initial set-up.

After preparing the device for a new owner, if you view the list of devices currently associated with your AppleID from another device, the device that you have prepared will not appear in your list:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] - scroll down to see your list of registered devices

Likewise, the device that you have prepared for disposal will not be visible from the Find My App - or from the Find My in iCloud when accessed from a web browser:

https://icloud.apple.com

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2021 2:56 AM in response to dockyard

If you have followed the linked procedure, you will have successfully removed the Activation Lock; you will see the initial “Hello” screen on the iPad, this only being seen on a device awaiting initial set-up.

After preparing the device for a new owner, if you view the list of devices currently associated with your AppleID from another device, the device that you have prepared will not appear in your list:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] - scroll down to see your list of registered devices

Likewise, the device that you have prepared for disposal will not be visible from the Find My App - or from the Find My in iCloud when accessed from a web browser:

https://icloud.apple.com

Feb 2, 2021 9:20 AM in response to dockyard

The best method of preparing a device for resale, disposal or a new user is to follow this procedure:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

This will securely wipe all existing data, remove the Activation Lock that will otherwise inhibit reuse by the new owner - and disassociate the device from your AppleID account. Following this process will not impact data on your other devices or in iCloud.

Be aware that manual editing or deletion of files from a device may be synchronised via iCloud. As such, use of the linked procedure is recommended.

Feb 3, 2021 2:20 AM in response to LotusPilot

Just a quick question . I followed the link to reset my ipad . I think everything is cleaned up . How do i know the activation lok is unlocked so the buyer can use it . When i power the ipad up now it goes to the screen that says Hola and wants me to pick a language . wasnt even aware there was a activation lock on apple products . Thanks

reset ipad to factory for resale

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.