You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 12 and Norton 360

I purchased a brand new MacBook Pro M1 2020 recently. I loaded a virus checker Norton 360 as I thought even Apple computers need protection from malware. As instructed, I updated the MacOS to Big Sur 12.2.

Afterwards my MacBook refused to connect to the internet. A message kept instructing me to go to System Preferences and click a box to allow Norton extensions, but there was no Norton allow box in the System Preferences. Eventually, in desperation I uninstalled Norton and restarted the computer. Suddenly 40 emails pinged into the in-box as the computer connected to wi-fi no problems.

So my questions are:

Is Norton 360 compatible with MacOS 12?

And if not why are Norton selling it for MacOS?

Finally, does one actually need to load anti-virus software on a MacBook?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 12:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 12:25 PM

Uninstall all third party anti virus apps. Norton and all such apps use system resources while providing no benefit. And they may cause issues.

macOS - Security - Apple

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Set up your Mac to be secure - Apple Support

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2021 12:25 PM in response to EddieCar22

Uninstall all third party anti virus apps. Norton and all such apps use system resources while providing no benefit. And they may cause issues.

macOS - Security - Apple

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Set up your Mac to be secure - Apple Support

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

MacOS 12 and Norton 360

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.