You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted file via ethernet : in wich garbage?

Did I lost my files forever?

I linked my macbook air to my macbook pro via an ethernet cable and I wanted to transfer a folder with a lot of important files in it.

Via the sharing windows on the macbook air, I happened to create a new folder with the folder in it on the macbook pro, wich I didn't need so I erased the new folder, thinking that it was a copy and not the original that was in that new folder. But it was the original!!! So now, the folder is deleted and I cannot see it neither in the garbage of the macbook pro nor the macbook air . Like if it only disappeared forever. Where is it?

And guess what : my time machine backup didn't work. My file and on portable disk are empty!!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 4:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 5:38 PM

The Trash for a particular file is on the DRIVE that held the file initially. This is because sometimes "moving" to the Trash means only as little as setting the "in-the-Trash" bit, and never involves actually duplicating the file into a folder named Trash.

For shared Volumes, multiple readers and Writers could see files distorted in time -- one writer could modify or delete the file you want to use next. For this reason, Files on Shared Volumes are usually deleted Immediately, NOT placed in the Trash.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2021 5:38 PM in response to RemyPerras

The Trash for a particular file is on the DRIVE that held the file initially. This is because sometimes "moving" to the Trash means only as little as setting the "in-the-Trash" bit, and never involves actually duplicating the file into a folder named Trash.

For shared Volumes, multiple readers and Writers could see files distorted in time -- one writer could modify or delete the file you want to use next. For this reason, Files on Shared Volumes are usually deleted Immediately, NOT placed in the Trash.

Deleted file via ethernet : in wich garbage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.