You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VERY slow download speed of macOS 11.2 Big Sur upgrade

For two days now I have been trying to download the upgrade to BS 11.2 onto my wife's 2018 MBP.  

She has 162GB of empty storage available and a Ookla Speed Test shows between 18-20Mbps download speed available.

I ran DU First Aid on both containers with nil problems and OnyX for Catalina to ensure caches were empty.

Yet when I initiate the software upgrade download the internet speed drops to around 20-100Kbps and the progress bar time line estimates 8-10 days for completion.

Application updates performed prior to this from the App Store took only seconds at 2-6Mbps and although I understand this is probably a different Apple server could it just be heavy "traffic"?

I mean 11.2 has been out for a few days now and I updated my 11.1 to 11.2 a couple of days ago on my 2015 MBPr on first release which only took 20min.

I know it's 12GB+ so 10-12 hrs would not be unexpected but 8 days is ridiculous.  

Should I just stop and try again in a couple of days?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 9:01 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

VERY slow download speed of macOS 11.2 Big Sur upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.