You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all contacts after updating IOS 14.4

i lost all my contacts after updated my IOS to 14.4, even i made before backup to contact and everything else, can some 1 help

iPhone X

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 3:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 3:13 AM

Contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

If Contacts on iCloud, try this --> Restore contacts, calendars, bookmarks and more using ...

1. How many Contacts account (email client server) you have?
  2. What is your default Contacts Account?
  3. Which email account you are using to store Contacts?

• See the GIF below for Contacts and Default Account

• Learn how to add an email account and make it default (Watch the GIF)
  • This example is for Gmail but the process remains same for all Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 4, 2021 3:13 AM in response to Nado258

Contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

If Contacts on iCloud, try this --> Restore contacts, calendars, bookmarks and more using ...

1. How many Contacts account (email client server) you have?
  2. What is your default Contacts Account?
  3. Which email account you are using to store Contacts?

• See the GIF below for Contacts and Default Account

• Learn how to add an email account and make it default (Watch the GIF)
  • This example is for Gmail but the process remains same for all Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

Mar 3, 2021 5:46 PM in response to caitriona49

I logged into icloud on my pc and did an export of all my contacts to ensure they could be accessed in the future if my contacts are blown away again and the icloud backups with the full contact list are no longer available as they have been archived off. I imported them all into a new group and ensured that was checked on the contacts groups setting for icloud. Hopefully that will work but I can go to the vcf export as a fallback if the backup service is still misbehaving and only taking a backup on some contacts. It's a pain and seems to be an issue with the last ios upgrade. Hope it can be resolved.

Lost all contacts after updating IOS 14.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.