You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big sur shortcuts screenshot not working

Hello, so i just noticed i cannot make screenshot by shortcuts.

On the left side when i press CMD+SHIFT+3 , it just make that dump sound like there is no shortcut.

When i press the same but with right SHIFT it's working, what is going on? Why is it ignoring my left shift?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 3:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 10:06 AM

Howdy,

Does your left shift key work otherwise? I like to test keys with the Keyboard Viewer.

From If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad isn't working with your Mac as expected

Your keyboard has one or more keys that don't respond

Use the Keyboard Viewer to test whether the keyboard keys are responding correctly when they are pressed.

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Keyboard.
  2. Click the Input Sources tab.
  3. Make sure that the keyboard language that you use is listed on the left side. If it's not, click the add button (+) and choose from the languages that appear.
  4. Select the ”Show Input menu in menu bar” checkbox.
  5. Click the Keyboard tab, then select ”Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar” checkbox, if present.
  6. From the Input menu  in the menu bar, choose Show Keyboard Viewer. The Keyboard Viewer showing the keyboard layout appears on your display.
  7. Type the key on the keyboard that doesn’t respond and see if the corresponding key highlights on the Keyboard Viewer. If it does, that key is functioning correctly.

If you enable the Mouse Keys feature, many keys might not respond as you expect. To turn off Mouse keys, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Accessibility. Choose Mouse & Trackpad from the list on the left side, then then deselect the Enable Mouse Keys checkbox.

ivan

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 5, 2021 10:06 AM in response to P.Potoczky

Howdy,

Does your left shift key work otherwise? I like to test keys with the Keyboard Viewer.

From If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad isn't working with your Mac as expected

Your keyboard has one or more keys that don't respond

Use the Keyboard Viewer to test whether the keyboard keys are responding correctly when they are pressed.

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Keyboard.
  2. Click the Input Sources tab.
  3. Make sure that the keyboard language that you use is listed on the left side. If it's not, click the add button (+) and choose from the languages that appear.
  4. Select the ”Show Input menu in menu bar” checkbox.
  5. Click the Keyboard tab, then select ”Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar” checkbox, if present.
  6. From the Input menu  in the menu bar, choose Show Keyboard Viewer. The Keyboard Viewer showing the keyboard layout appears on your display.
  7. Type the key on the keyboard that doesn’t respond and see if the corresponding key highlights on the Keyboard Viewer. If it does, that key is functioning correctly.

If you enable the Mouse Keys feature, many keys might not respond as you expect. To turn off Mouse keys, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Accessibility. Choose Mouse & Trackpad from the list on the left side, then then deselect the Enable Mouse Keys checkbox.

ivan

Big sur shortcuts screenshot not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.