You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change security settings on my wifi extender

When I Connect to my wifi extender It says weak security how can I fix that my wifi ext is

RE450

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 8:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 10:10 PM

Albert531 Said:

"How to change security settings on my wifi extender: When I Connect to my wifi extender It says weak security how can I fix that my wifi ext is RE450"

-------

Encryption Protocol is the Culprit:

You need to be using WPA3 for you connection protocol, as WPA2 is no longer secure, having become hackable. So, it is time to upgrade it. Perhaps upgrade your router too, if WPA3 is of not a specification of it.

RE450 Specs:

1. Go Here: RE450 | AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender | TP-Link (tp-link.com)
  2. Click: Specifications tab
  3. It Reads: Wireless Security - 64/128-bit - WEP WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK
6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 5, 2021 10:10 PM in response to Albert531

Albert531 Said:

"How to change security settings on my wifi extender: When I Connect to my wifi extender It says weak security how can I fix that my wifi ext is RE450"

-------

You need to be using WPA3 for you connection protocol, as WPA2 is no longer secure, having become hackable. So, it is time to upgrade it. Perhaps upgrade your router too, if WPA3 is of not a specification of it.

RE450 Specs:

1. Go Here: RE450 | AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender | TP-Link (tp-link.com)
  2. Click: Specifications tab
  3. It Reads: Wireless Security - 64/128-bit - WEP WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK

Feb 6, 2021 8:28 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

Albert531 Said:
-------

You need to be using WPA3 for you connection protocol, as WPA2 is no longer secure, having become hackable. So, it is time to upgrade it.

That is not correct. WPA2(AES) is secure. WPA2(TKIP) is not secure. And if a Wi-Fi router is set to WPA3 exclusively devices more than about 3 years old will no longer be able to connect.

So the correct setting is either WPA2(AES), WPA2-Personal, or WPA2/WPA3. Wrong settings for security are:

• WEP
  • WPA2(TKIP)
  • WPA
  • WPA/WPA2

And this should not be chosen for a different reason:

• WPA3 (because it will have compatibility issues with older devices)

Feb 5, 2021 9:15 PM in response to Albert531

You would need to change it on your extender or router/modem. Either go to its website to see if it has better security settings you can choose or contact your internet provider to ask. If the modem/router is older, it may not so you'd have to consider getting a newer one with more up to date security settings. You need to check the model/settings available on the extender and the modem/router.

By the way, you've always had weak security - you just didn't know it. The new iOS now warns you.

How to change security settings on my wifi extender

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.