You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need macOS 11.1 big sur driver for Samsung laser printer ML-1670

after upgrading to macOS 11.1 it stopped working

is there a new printer driver or a workaround for this issue?

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 11:29 PM

12 replies

Feb 6, 2021 12:49 AM in response to Lance.scs

That is really a question for Samsung click on the link below,

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/samsung-ml-1670-laser-printer-series/17156953

you will be greeted with We were unable to find drivers for your product.

If you click on the operating system selector and select macOS you will see that the printer was last

supported in macOS 10.10 Yosemite.

What OS did you upgrade from to get to Big Sur.

Try resetting the printing system.

Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

Feb 6, 2021 5:46 AM in response to Lance.scs

I even checked in Apple's AirPrint listing and the ML-1670 is not listed. One has to check both Samsung and HP entries because, for some selected Samsung devices, they appear under HP as HP ML-2955ND which is my Samsung 1200 dpi monochrome laser.

Unfortunately, with the last driver support activity ending in 2010, and Samsung selling their printer division to HP, you now have a paperweight with no driver support on Big Sur. Decisions: 1) purchase a new AirPrint compatible printer with forward compatibility or 2) the PITA of reverting the operating system from a prior Time Machine backup and your time investment which would exceed a new printer cost.

Feb 6, 2021 4:34 PM in response to Lance.scs

Hi,

It is often difficult to suggest a workaround in a case like this. Most people do not have access to the exact combination of computer, operating system, and printer model. If absolutely nothing else works, you could perhaps carry out experiments with drivers for other (similar) printer models. This will take time. Software conflicts cannot be ruled out. You may have to erase everything and reinstall. Data can be lost. A hardware problem is unlikely, but one cannot guarantee anything. So, unless you know exactly what you are doing, do not proceed. As always, ensure that you have multiple backup copies of important files. Reset the printing system between tests.

If you decide to continue, one idea could perhaps be to investigate whether a universal printer driver can be used. Just as an example, an ML-1676P printer is mentioned in the HP article https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06520117 with a reference to SL-M2020 (UPD). The experimentally inclined may want to test the SL-M2020 https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/SS/Print_Common_SW/Samsung_Mac_10.15_Driver_V3.92.00.dmg Catalina driver with an ML-1670 and Big Sur. It may not work at all.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Feb 6, 2021 5:25 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi, thank for your reply and offered suggestions. Of course I have been trying with many other drivers.

Alas, nothing worked. And as you remarked, I had a general s/w issue and had to replace from backup.

To cut things short, I have given up and assume that there is no driver for the old printer. Pity though!

Apple and Samsung/HP did not offer much help. I guess that they want me to buy new equipment. This actually will have to happen.

Thanks again.

Cheers, André

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.