You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portrait mode iPhone X not working

I have been able to take photos in portrait mode and recently it has stopped working. It is still able to work in ‘selfie’ mode with the front facing camera but not with the rear facing camera on the back of my phone which is the only way I really like to use the feature. It always says ‘move further away’ when someone/thing is in shot or at times, changes to say ‘place subject within 8 feet’. There has not been any damage to my phone (that I’m aware of). I thought it coincided with an update at the beginning of Jan and there has since been another update and the problem has not changed. Any ideas on how to rectify the problem would be very welcome!

iPhone X

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 2:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 3:25 AM

Yes, I’ve tried closing the app and restarting my phone.

It doesn’t seem to matter who I am trying to photograph and have tried indoor and outdoor and have tried but natural and artificial light of varying brightness too.

When the subject is in frame it says move further away and when doing so it will then change to say mover closer or within 8ft.

It still works in selfie mode.

If there is something else I can try, I would be grateful for the advice.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2021 3:25 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Yes, I’ve tried closing the app and restarting my phone.

It doesn’t seem to matter who I am trying to photograph and have tried indoor and outdoor and have tried but natural and artificial light of varying brightness too.

When the subject is in frame it says move further away and when doing so it will then change to say mover closer or within 8ft.

It still works in selfie mode.

If there is something else I can try, I would be grateful for the advice.

Feb 8, 2021 2:50 PM in response to Lil_H

Hey there, Lil_H.

We understand that you're no longer able to take Portrait mode photos with rear camera of your iPhone X. It sounds like your iPhone is fully up to date, which is good. If you haven't already, you can see if restarting helps: Restart your iPhone It may seem like a simple step, but it can sometimes resolve issues.

Also, is this happening with any person you try to use Portrait mode with, along with in different lighting?

Take care.

Portrait mode iPhone X not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.