You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur installation failure on an iMac

I cannot get my iMac to upgrade to Big Sur. I have tried repeatedly and download takes hours and then installation fails. I'm know others are also experiencing this since November 2020 but it's not February 2021. Surely there are workarounds to help me?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 3:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 10:11 AM

For everybody having trouble with the update, try these steps:

1. Restart the Mac, by pressing and holding the power button until the screen goes off, then turn it back on. See if the update completes within 2 hours.
  2. If the update still does not work, shut off the Mac, turn it back on, but immediately press and hold the "Shift" Key on the keyboard. Release it when you see an Apple logo or globe on the screen. See if the update completes within 2 hours.
  3. If the update still does not complete, shut off the iMac once again, turn it on, and immediately press and hold "Option" + "Command" + "R". Release when you see a spinning globe. From this new screen, connect to WiFi in the top right corner, and select "Reinstall macOS". (This will not erase anything, but you should have a backup.) See if the update completes within 2 hours.

Let me/us know if it still does not work.

Cheers,

Jack

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2021 10:11 AM in response to KAYNS

For everybody having trouble with the update, try these steps:

1. Restart the Mac, by pressing and holding the power button until the screen goes off, then turn it back on. See if the update completes within 2 hours.
  2. If the update still does not work, shut off the Mac, turn it back on, but immediately press and hold the "Shift" Key on the keyboard. Release it when you see an Apple logo or globe on the screen. See if the update completes within 2 hours.
  3. If the update still does not complete, shut off the iMac once again, turn it on, and immediately press and hold "Option" + "Command" + "R". Release when you see a spinning globe. From this new screen, connect to WiFi in the top right corner, and select "Reinstall macOS". (This will not erase anything, but you should have a backup.) See if the update completes within 2 hours.

Let me/us know if it still does not work.

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 11, 2021 10:20 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack,

the only message I receive is that the installation failed. There is no error number or further direction.

I had the same trouble upgrading Catalina but eventually managed to succeed. There was a workaround I discovered in my researching which I now can’t remember nor can I find it again. Seems it was recommended that I alter an option in my settings. I’m sorry I do not remember the details.

Thank you, so much, for asking!

Kay

Big Sur installation failure on an iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.