You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

issues with big sur 11.2.1 upgrade

I upgraded to version 11.2.1 of big sur yesterday... Initially I had a bluetooth issue but that's gone now. More worrying I am unable to see any applications in Finder and appear to have lost a lot of photos from Photos and iPhoto. Finder preferences doesn't show anything I tick.... this is not good

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 9:11 AM

7 replies

Feb 10, 2021 10:56 AM in response to Scaleyback

Ok, so first I am assuming that your mac is not one of new ones with "Apple Silicon" (the new 13" models released in November). If it is one of the new ones, the following does not apply, at least not in the same way.

1) Resetting NVRAM: shutdown your mac; press the power button and immediately press and hold these four keys: Command, Option (in some keyboards it is called "alt"), P and R. Keep holding and let your mac restart some 4 times (it does so automatically), then release the keys and let it start normally.

2) Starting in Safe Mode: shutdown your mac; press the power button and immediately press and hold the SHIFT key. Keep pressing until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

Safe Mode will take longer to start, will clear some stuff and do some testing; it will also only load the essential software.

It is common for problems NOT to occur in Safe Mode; when you have a problem and it does NOT occur in Safe Mode, you will know that it is caused by some third party software that simply is not loaded when you use Safe Mode. This will help us in figuring out what the problem might be.

issues with big sur 11.2.1 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.