You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop the Cursor From Moving Down When Hitting the Return or Enter Keys

This question is old and so are the responses. Can someone respond with a current answer?

In Numbers, the cursor moves down when hitting the Return or Enter key. There are times when no movement is desired. Is there any way to change this setting?

Thanks a bunch!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 3:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 8:43 AM

That is "Select Parent". If you do it twice it will select the table. It is the correct shortcut to use. The list of shortcuts has it listed for this purpose (one to enter data without moving, twice to select the table).

5 replies

Feb 11, 2021 9:26 PM in response to SidGP

Return confirms an entry and moves the focus to the cell below the first is a series of 'write' tab 'write' tab repetitions.

Tab confirms the entry and moves the focus one cell to the right.

Shift-return and Shift-tab confirm the entry and move the focus one cell up (return) or left (tab).

I've not found documentation for any combination that will leave the insertion point in the same cell, but a test tonight with a new and empty table showed that command-Return will confirm the entry and not move the focus, but does make the insertion point disappear from the cell, leaving the cell selected. Any text of number keystroke then deletes the current content of the cell and places the keyed character as the start of a new entry. I have not checked what other effects, if any that keystroke combination triggers.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 12, 2021 10:09 AM in response to Barry

Thanks Barry . . . the <Command><Return> key combination did the trick! And as Badunit says below, hitting the Return key twice selects the entire table, also helpful.

I built a simple auto leasing spreadsheet to test cash down options, but found that I was continually entering each new optional amount into the wrong cell. This eliminates that annoyance.

Thanks again,

Sid

Stop the Cursor From Moving Down When Hitting the Return or Enter Keys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.