You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 10.11.6 constant Freezing and Crashing - Tried Everything

I've tried every single suggestion online other then upgrading my OS (need to keep it the same for a little longer until I finish a project with a specific software). Can anyone help? My machine crashes non-stop Posting an EtreCheck Report:

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 10:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 11:00 PM

Hi there,

Please follow my this list of issues:

1. DELETE CleanMyMac. It just causes trouble on Mac. Macs don't need a "cleaner" app.
  2. Turn back on Apple Security.

Have you tried:

1. PRAM Reset: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. SMC Reset: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support
  3. First Aid: Repair a disk using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support
  4. Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support (Is for testing purposes only)

Cheers,

Jack

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2021 11:00 PM in response to ChuckNorris321

Hi there,

Please follow my this list of issues:

1. DELETE CleanMyMac. It just causes trouble on Mac. Macs don't need a "cleaner" app.
  2. Turn back on Apple Security.

Have you tried:

4. Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support (Is for testing purposes only)

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 12, 2021 7:14 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack - thank you for the response. Yes, I saw Cleanmymac in the report too. I was very surprised to see it in there. I had it installed very briefly and "removed/uninstalled" it long ago. However, I just looked and I can not see it anywhere. I do not see it in applications, nor do I see it in the library. I searched the computer and the library for both "cleanmymac" and "macpaw" - I do not see it in any of these library folders either:

• ~/Library/Preferences/
  • ~/Library/Application Support
  • ~/Library/Caches/
  • ~/Library/Logs/
  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  • ~/Library/Cookies

Where could it be hidden?

I've tried to turn on Apple Security numerous times and it fails. Terminal: csrutil - I'll try it again though. Note: Since the first day of owning this mac it's been a little weird. When I boot it up, very, very seldom does it ask for a password, but often asks for a password when waking from sleep.

Yes, I have tried the below (many, many times):

When starting in safe mode, I think it only crashed once. But not in safe mode, sometimes it only crashes a few times a day, but many days now it will crash like 50 times. Very frustrating.

Feb 12, 2021 8:10 AM in response to ChuckNorris321

ChuckNorris321 wrote:

I searched the computer and the library for both "cleanmymac" and "macpaw" - I do not see it in any of these library folders either:

Where could it be hidden?

Uninstall any and all third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers....

<Antivirus software: CleanMyMac>

If you did not use the "official" in-app uninstaller—typically you have to re-install it, in order to uninstall it.

If in doubt search the developers website. It certainly is known to cause nothing but issue.

You hard drive is full— < 499.08 GB (458.08 GB used, 40.74 GB free)>

SSD function most efficiently need ~20-25% free storage at all times—I'll let you do the math.

HDD can get away with a bit less ~10-15% free storage.

Do some general housekeeping

Feb 14, 2021 1:44 PM in response to ChuckNorris321

FYI - Tried to uninstall cleanmymac with "official uninstaller". Did not work according to EtreCheck. Downloaded and ran Find Any File Rebooted in safe mode and searched for files with "cleanmymac" or "macpaw" in the file name. Nothing showed up in "cleanmymac search, but 12 files showed up in "macpaw" search (and cleanmymac was in the name of those files). Trashed them.

HOWEVER - this did not fix my situation. Still freezing then crashing. Crashed 4 times just trying to write this note. Finally booted in safe mode and wrote note.

Macbook Pro 10.11.6 constant Freezing and Crashing - Tried Everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.