You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS upgrade

I have a iMac 27"late 2013 running osx 10.9.5 and am trying to update to macOS Catalina as docs show it is compatible. I get a 'downloading installer info to target volume failed'. I created a new admin user and tried it again - same error. I get the same issue if I try to download any earlier version of the OS as well. I have over 800 G of free space but not sure how to see on which volume it is trying to write.

On a side note, when I run the App Store application and search for macOS, the search does not find any macOS versions. It's like it only searches through 'Featured, Top Charts, Purchased, Updates. How do I search the entire app store.

Any help much appreciated!

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 9:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 10:36 PM

You can only access macOS Upgrades via this article.

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Which gives you links to the various OS's and redirects you to

the App Store. Stupid I know.

The installer app gets downloaded to your Applications folder.

Is your mac running OK at the moment.

You may want to boot to your Recovery HD and run

First Aid/ Verify on your Disk/ Macintosh HD.

If you want to install macOS Catalina, I would recommend upgrading to macOS High Sierra first.

This should install the firmware necessary to convert the HFS+ fie system to the newer APFS file system

that newer OS's run on.

There have been reports of those trying to make direct upgrades from older Mac OS X versions

that the installations get stuck, Therefore upgrading to macOS High Sierra would be wise.

So open Safari and click on the link above.

Go to Download OS and click on macOS High Sierra.

The App Store should open and it should say Get or download.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina be warned it does not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 12, 2021 10:36 PM in response to r_corbitt

You can only access macOS Upgrades via this article.

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Which gives you links to the various OS's and redirects you to

the App Store. Stupid I know.

The installer app gets downloaded to your Applications folder.

Is your mac running OK at the moment.

You may want to boot to your Recovery HD and run

First Aid/ Verify on your Disk/ Macintosh HD.

If you want to install macOS Catalina, I would recommend upgrading to macOS High Sierra first.

This should install the firmware necessary to convert the HFS+ fie system to the newer APFS file system

that newer OS's run on.

There have been reports of those trying to make direct upgrades from older Mac OS X versions

that the installations get stuck, Therefore upgrading to macOS High Sierra would be wise.

So open Safari and click on the link above.

Go to Download OS and click on macOS High Sierra.

The App Store should open and it should say Get or download.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina be warned it does not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

macOS upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.