You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Messaging

Why do I need my iPhone turned on to send a text message from my iPad? When my iPhone is turned off, I’m unable to send a text message from my iPad.

iPhone 6, 12

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 2:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 2:54 PM

I have no issues at all when the iPhone is on; however, if I turn it off and send a text to an Android, it won't go through. As soon as I turn on the iPhone, I can either resend the text or create and send a new one. But you answered my questions. Thanks to both you and the other respondent.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 12, 2021 2:54 PM in response to LACAllen

I have no issues at all when the iPhone is on; however, if I turn it off and send a text to an Android, it won't go through. As soon as I turn on the iPhone, I can either resend the text or create and send a new one. But you answered my questions. Thanks to both you and the other respondent.

Feb 12, 2021 2:36 PM in response to alexdv101

alexdv101 wrote:

Why do I need my iPhone turned on to send a text message from my iPad? When my iPhone is turned off, I’m unable to send a text message from my iPad.

Define text message.

If it's an Apple iMessage, the iPad can do this without an iPhone.

For carrier SMS/MMS messages, the iPad needs to relay that through an iPhone to the carrier's system. iPad's can't access the voice channel that carries SMS/MMS messages.

This is for Android users who can't receive iMessages.

Feb 12, 2021 2:50 PM in response to alexdv101

alexdv101 wrote:

Oh, I see. And, yes, the problem occurs for SMS/MMS messages only. Any suggestions other than being certain my iPhone is on for SMS/MMS messaging?

Do you have issues when your iPhone is on to relay the SMS/MMS messages?

Again, an iPad can not access the voice channel of the carrier's signal to carry SMS/MMS. There is no other way an iPad can send these messages. Not sure what other suggestions I can make. iPads with cellular service access the carrier's data channel only, not the voice.

Text Messaging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.