You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some Numbers features not working in shared file

Some of the usual features of Numbers are not working in a file shared (via collaboration) by someone else. The other person has Catalina (her Mac is too old to move up); I have Big Sur. We both have the most recent macOS we can, and the latest Numbers app. The usual stuff works, like modifying the sheet's content (text, calculations, etc.).

1. In Format > Text, I cannot change or add a table style; all I can do is "redefine by selection".
  2. I have set my preferences to ask if I want to save changes upon close. This works for my own files, but not for this shared file.
  3. When I make changes, the file name does not have the word "edited" to the right of the file name.

Are these typical of working in a file shared by someone else?

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 12:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 3:06 PM

Hi there Tim Murray2,

We understand you have some questions about collaborating on a file in Numbers and saving the changes, and we'd like to see if we can assist.

Edits made on the spreadsheet appear and are saved in real time, which explains why you're not being prompted to save the file or seeing "edited" next to the title. You can learn more here: Collaborate on a shared spreadsheet in Numbers on Mac

This page may help with changing the settings: Change a shared spreadsheet's settings in Numbers on Mac

Regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 16, 2021 3:06 PM in response to Tim Murray2

Hi there Tim Murray2,

We understand you have some questions about collaborating on a file in Numbers and saving the changes, and we'd like to see if we can assist.

Edits made on the spreadsheet appear and are saved in real time, which explains why you're not being prompted to save the file or seeing "edited" next to the title. You can learn more here: Collaborate on a shared spreadsheet in Numbers on Mac

This page may help with changing the settings: Change a shared spreadsheet's settings in Numbers on Mac

Regards.

Some Numbers features not working in shared file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.