You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Controlling HomePod while away from home

Something odd occurred with my HomePod and I can’t seem to find anything online to explain it so hopefully someone here can. My HomePod was at my house connected to my home wifi network and I was at a friend’s house connected to their network. I was using my iPad Pro and accidentally touched my HomePod which appeared in my control center (along with my Apple TV). I then got a call from my roommate stating that my HomePod resumed playing music. While on the phone with him, I did the same thing again with my iPad Pro and the music stopped and started again. How is this possible? My iPad does not have cellular connectivity and neither does the HomePod and both devices were on completely different networks at two different locations.

HomePod, 14

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 4:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 5:40 AM

HomeKit provides for remote control over the Internet. When you are connected to your friend's network that allows you to access to your Home as long as you have a device that is acting as your hub and your connection at home is active. You can control accessories, start or stop music (which I think is too easily done), or use the Intercom feature to send a message to anyone at home, which might be a little weird unless people are prepared for it.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2021 5:40 AM in response to JoeR99

HomeKit provides for remote control over the Internet. When you are connected to your friend's network that allows you to access to your Home as long as you have a device that is acting as your hub and your connection at home is active. You can control accessories, start or stop music (which I think is too easily done), or use the Intercom feature to send a message to anyone at home, which might be a little weird unless people are prepared for it.

tt2

Controlling HomePod while away from home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.