You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot hear sound on Mac

Yesterday, in the middle of a Zoom conference, my sound stopped working.

I looked at my sound setting and see iMac Speakers and External Headphones, but no Internal Speakers. I changed the setting to External Headphones and plugged headphones into the computer, but still cannot hear the sound. How can I get the sound to work on my computer?

I am running OS Big Sur (11.2.1) on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)

iMac 27″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 5:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 5:59 PM

I hate to ask the next question. Have you rebooted or logged out?

What have you tried to make sounds with? play a song or something else. I've noticed a couple of time that YouTube is suddenly instantly completing videos and I get no sound when that happens, A reboot or logout seems to solve the issue.

Paul

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 16, 2021 5:59 PM in response to ozone

I hate to ask the next question. Have you rebooted or logged out?

What have you tried to make sounds with? play a song or something else. I've noticed a couple of time that YouTube is suddenly instantly completing videos and I get no sound when that happens, A reboot or logout seems to solve the issue.

Paul

Feb 16, 2021 5:48 PM in response to ozone

ozone, can you provide a screen capture of your sound preference pane? Your iMac speakers are the internal speakers. At the bottom of the sound preference pane there is a output volume slider and a mute check, I'm assuming that your have adjusted both? Try checking and unchecking the mute checkbox.

Also what are the audio settings in zoom at the moment?

I hope this helps.

Paul

cannot hear sound on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.