You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

think i bought a stolen phone, how do I contact the owner

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 10:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 10:29 AM

You don’t. You try finding the seller for remediation or refund, maybe hand it to the police, or you recycle it.

Apple is just not going to provide contact info for the holder of an Activation Lock.

Why not? Because some will find or steal a phone, then use that contact info to find more to steal, or worse.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a used iPad/iPhone - Apple Community

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2021 10:29 AM in response to wardwe01

You don’t. You try finding the seller for remediation or refund, maybe hand it to the police, or you recycle it.

Apple is just not going to provide contact info for the holder of an Activation Lock.

Why not? Because some will find or steal a phone, then use that contact info to find more to steal, or worse.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a used iPad/iPhone - Apple Community

Feb 17, 2021 10:29 AM in response to wardwe01

According to The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone:

1. ONLY Buy Apple devices from trusted sources - An Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. If you can't afford a brand new iPad/iPhone, Apple and many Authorized Reseller's sell refurbished devices at reduced cost. These devices are often indistinguishable from a brand new device and they come with warranties.
  3. Save your money and wait for a major holiday sale, where new devices are often discounted.
  4. Don't become a victim. You worked hard for your money. Don't take the chance of being ripped off as so many are every single day.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.