You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad can't install iOS updates

Hi.

I have a problem with my 7th generation iPad.

I was able to install iPad OS 14.2 with no problems but everything from there was stuck. I basically receive the prompt to download and install the latest updates in the settings, and i'm even able to reboot the device to theoretically proceed with the installation of the new system.

The problem occurs here. The Apple logo with the progress bar under it regularly appears but after a few a seconds and with the process still in early stages the iPad autonomosly reboots with the old version of the OS. I have no idea of what could have happend but hope you do.

Thanks in advice and bye.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 2:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 4:08 AM

You are attempting to update iOS/iPadOS. This can be performed using the OTA update method from iPad Settings - or by a PC/Mac.

At present, for reasons unknown, the OTA update method isn’t working for you. As such, I strongly recommend that you use your PC/Mac computer to perform the update; if you do so, the problem is very likely to be resolved.

Be aware that the Update performed by the PC/Mac is not a Restore. No data or installed Apps will be affected in any way.

However, should it become necessary to perform a Restore - either from a Backup or to Factory Settings - nothing will be lost if you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup. Any Apps can be similarly reinstalled from the App Store at no additional cost.

To conclude, try to update your iPad from a PC or Mac.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 19, 2021 4:08 AM in response to ekifi

You are attempting to update iOS/iPadOS. This can be performed using the OTA update method from iPad Settings - or by a PC/Mac.

At present, for reasons unknown, the OTA update method isn’t working for you. As such, I strongly recommend that you use your PC/Mac computer to perform the update; if you do so, the problem is very likely to be resolved.

Be aware that the Update performed by the PC/Mac is not a Restore. No data or installed Apps will be affected in any way.

However, should it become necessary to perform a Restore - either from a Backup or to Factory Settings - nothing will be lost if you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup. Any Apps can be similarly reinstalled from the App Store at no additional cost.

To conclude, try to update your iPad from a PC or Mac.

Feb 19, 2021 4:00 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks a ton for the insightful links but none of them describe a situation like mine. As i said the progress bar appears and seems to be working fine but the device just restarts after about 10 seconds, with the bar obviously only partially fullfilled. I surely could try restoring the iPad and i'm pretty sure that would solve everything but i don't know if that involves losing data or apps that i wouldn't want to have to reinstall. I'll do that if it's necessary by the way but i'd like to know if there was a more specific solution to such a problem.

Also, i tried performing the update from iTunes but nothing seems to happen when i click the "Update" button. It just stays clicked for about a second without doing anything. Don't know what to think.

Feb 19, 2021 4:27 AM in response to LotusPilot

As i said not even the iTunes method seems to be working for me. I don't know if some additional procedures are needed but i tried connecting the iPad to my computer, authorized it and went to the device page of the program. There's a pretty evident "Update" button but that doesn't react to my solcitations. I click it, it stays clicked for less than a second and returns normal. Have i to put the iPad in recovery mode even to perform a regular update?

Feb 19, 2021 8:32 AM in response to LotusPilot

I was having some problems with Windows Update so the latest version of my Microsoft Store version of iTunes was not showing up. I seemingly solved everything and after updating the program things seem to be working better. Clicking the "Update" button actually started the installation procedure and as of right now the software is being extracted. I'll inform you later on how it goes.

Feb 20, 2021 7:36 AM in response to ekifi

It took some time but i got news. I initially encountered a problem during the automatic backup iTunes performs before starting the effective installation of the O.S where the device kept virtually disconnecting from the computer, forgetting about it and asking to give it the authorization to access it again and obviously abruplty interrupting the whole process. Fortunately switching USB port was enough to solve everything and let iTunes put the iPad in recovery and start uploading iPadOS. I don't know how but it worked. It took a little longer than what i remeber was necessary for an incremental upgrade like this one but after at least ten minutes the tablet successfully rebooted welcoming me to iPadOS 14.4. I hope i won't have to go throught all of this for every next release but thanks a ton anyway. I already thought of doing something like this but didn't really believe it would've worked. Thanks again and bye.

iPad can't install iOS updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.