You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Read Only Issue with APFS

I am trying to simply drag and drop a photo onto my external hard drive, formatted as APFS. Why is it read only? When I cmd + I on the drive, the Sharing & Permissions section says "You can only read" and I do not have access to a lock icon. I am the administrator.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 11:15 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Feb 20, 2021 6:17 AM in response to larathalice

larathalice wrote:

Sorry, just saw the Ignore Ownership part of your comment. This is all I can see when I click cmd + I. At the bottom, in the Sharing & Permissions, I don't have any options to do anything:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f69ea8a1-a1df-4bf8-94fa-0260a6224490

Traditionally you interact with Time Machine through the TM interface...

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/restore-files-mh11422/mac

Feb 20, 2021 6:38 AM in response to larathalice

i to used to use my TM disk in that same fashion. however, when i installed big sur, i put everything on the TM disk that wanted to keep on a separate drive. i then erased the TM disk to have a fresh TM for big sur. once i did that, TM became read only for some reason. (which only apple would know) when i tried to add other stuff to the TM disk, it wouldn't let me. since you have used a new drive, you may only have big sur backups on it. is it possible that your old drive was being used with catalina as well? i'm not completely sure when the protocols changed, but it does appear that they have changed.

Feb 20, 2021 6:18 AM in response to larathalice

i have noticed that my TM disk is read only. however, it is allowing TM to write to it. when i do a backup, the new data is showing up on the drive. i'm rot really sure why it works that way. i'm thinking that it is so you only use the TM disk for TM backups. if you want to add extra data to that disk, you will likely need to use disk utility to erase and reformat it and NOT use it for TM. it appears to me that it's an either/or situation now.

Feb 20, 2021 6:45 AM in response to larathalice

larathalice wrote:

So, I used to use a WD My Passport Ultra in the same manner. TM had no issue doing its thing, and I could also create folders and save things manually, as well.

I now have a Samsung T7 Touch and it only lets me do TM. So, I do know it is possible to do both, but have not figured out why the T7 one will not let me.

It has always worked best if TM has it's own dedicated drive— never has it been advised to use a TM backup Drive in conjunction w/ drag and drop storage to the same drive .

External drives are relatively inexpensive, If you value your user data:

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Drives can fail at anytime—you are much better off having 7 1T drives vs 1 7T drive, as an example— it may be time to rethink your backup strategy.

Feb 20, 2021 7:12 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I think you totally nailed timeframe. I can't really confirm this theory but it all adds up. Big bummer. I definitely switched to this new HD after I upgraded to Big Sur and hadn't attempted the manual drag and drop until just now.

But as @leroydouglas said, I really should have my stuff in multiple spots. So, I may just use this drive as a TM backup and save the photos on my actual computer, where they are backed up on TM, at least that's two out of the three spots, ha.

Feb 20, 2021 7:47 AM in response to larathalice

larathalice wrote:

Would love your favorite offsite recs, if you'd like to share.

Thanks!

i can answer that for you. i'm not sure if this means you are thinking of cloud-style storage as offsite. but for me, offsite means a 2 physical disks (duplicates) that i leave at a relative's house. i then bring them home from time to time to keep them up to date. it's a lot of "leg work", but it's good enough for my needs. and it's not as if i have a shortage of external disks. i hope this helps. :)

Read Only Issue with APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.