You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

developer cannot be verified

I am trying to open and install an application downloaded by a reputable company, but my iMac will not allow me to open it because the developer cannot be verified. "MacOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware." Now I know for a fact that this app is safe. There must be a way to bypass this annoyance.

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 4:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 3:30 AM

Also: did you try starting the application by control-clicking in the Finder and choosing Open?

That behaves slightly differently when you try to start an application for the first time.

In contrast to double-clicking, if you do as above, you should get an extra button "Open" to let you bypass the restrictions and make it start. This is only needed the first time. Once you start the application successfully once, you can use any method to start it from then on.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2021 3:30 AM in response to Ursus1970

Also: did you try starting the application by control-clicking in the Finder and choosing Open?

That behaves slightly differently when you try to start an application for the first time.

In contrast to double-clicking, if you do as above, you should get an extra button "Open" to let you bypass the restrictions and make it start. This is only needed the first time. Once you start the application successfully once, you can use any method to start it from then on.

Feb 20, 2021 8:19 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for the answers. I had already tried that. The computer allowed it to install, but then stopped again saying it could not open it because of an unspecified problem. I'm thinking the program just doesn't want to work with Big Sur, despite claiming everything they produce works with Mac systems. I'm giving up for now, but thanks again for the suggestions.

developer cannot be verified

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.