You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening iPad

Currently I have to press the "Home" button to start/open the iPad. Is it possible to just "touch" the screen to open it?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 6:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 6:59 AM

Unfortunately not on the iPad you have. It is possible on the iPad with FaceID - ex. iPad Air 4 and iPad Pro.

What you can do to make the unlocking a little smoother.

Go to

Settings -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Activate Rest your finger to open.

When you are on the Lock Screen, then you can just rest your fingers on TouchID, without pressing, iPad unlock and go directly to your Home screen. It does not sound like much, but I am glad not to have to press twice.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2021 6:59 AM in response to intrepid77

Unfortunately not on the iPad you have. It is possible on the iPad with FaceID - ex. iPad Air 4 and iPad Pro.

What you can do to make the unlocking a little smoother.

Go to

Settings -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Activate Rest your finger to open.

When you are on the Lock Screen, then you can just rest your fingers on TouchID, without pressing, iPad unlock and go directly to your Home screen. It does not sound like much, but I am glad not to have to press twice.

Opening iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.