You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store keeps spinning and not downloading my apps

I wanted to re-install my previously purchased apps after reformatting my iMac (late 2012) because it was already too slow. It said I can download the latest version that is compatible to my OS, which is Mojave, then started this endless spinning with no sign of progress. This will keep on going for hours.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 3:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 7:11 AM

Something is borked on Apple's end. It's not just you.

When App Store is running, kill the appstoreagent process. See screen shot. Once that process has been terminated, you should be able to download updates or new apps. You can find the process under the CPU tab of activity monitor.

Bear in mind that this workaround only works for as long as the App Store is running. Once you quit and reopen the App Store, you will need to kill the appstoreagent process again.

@Apple - get your **** together and fix this please.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2021 7:11 AM in response to luthor27

Something is borked on Apple's end. It's not just you.

When App Store is running, kill the appstoreagent process. See screen shot. Once that process has been terminated, you should be able to download updates or new apps. You can find the process under the CPU tab of activity monitor.

Bear in mind that this workaround only works for as long as the App Store is running. Once you quit and reopen the App Store, you will need to kill the appstoreagent process again.

@Apple - get your **** together and fix this please.

Feb 23, 2021 6:51 AM in response to luthor27

Hi luthor27,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand you're unable to redownload previously purchased applications from the App Store since reinstalling macOS on your iMac. We're happy to help.

Thanks for the specific details and screenshot, which are helpful. We have a few questions to help isolate further.

-Does this same behavior occur when you try downloading a new application as well? Or, is it just happening when redownloading previously purchased items?

-Is this an issue with all apps you attempt to redownload from your purchase history, or just apps like Numbers, Pages, Keynote, etc.?

-Do you have any issues when using any other Apple services, such as iTunes, Books, etc.?

Give these steps a try to see if they help: If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services. This includes, connecting your Mac to a different network (Ethernet or different Wi-Fi if available).

Keep us posted by replying back to this post.

Best regards.

App Store keeps spinning and not downloading my apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.