You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i back photos from my computer to an external disk

How can I back the photo library from my Mac computer to an external disk

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 4:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 5:38 AM

You can simply copy the Photos library package from your Mac to an external disk. Just make sure the external disk is APFS formatted and is a connected USB drive. DO NOT use a NAS drive as it is not compatible.

Alternatively you can also export all of your photos from Photos into normal folders (these can be stored on a NAS drive).

I actually do both as the JPEG exports are also backed up using an online provider (the Photos library cannot be backed up using an online service like Crashplan).

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 22, 2021 5:38 AM in response to MarianaRivas

You can simply copy the Photos library package from your Mac to an external disk. Just make sure the external disk is APFS formatted and is a connected USB drive. DO NOT use a NAS drive as it is not compatible.

Alternatively you can also export all of your photos from Photos into normal folders (these can be stored on a NAS drive).

I actually do both as the JPEG exports are also backed up using an online provider (the Photos library cannot be backed up using an online service like Crashplan).

how can i back photos from my computer to an external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.