You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Issue (Overheating?)

Hello. My computer is the MacBook Pro 13-inch (2016, Four Ports). I've had it for 4 years.

Since last year's summer, I've started to have a problem with the screen. During that summer I had to have the computer on for long periods of time during the summer heat. And also, due to the nature of the mac and my work, I use it while it's plugged into power.

One day, the bottom of my screen started to turn black, but it was still usable. I started to notice that, the more I used the laptop, more and more of the screen started to turn black, with thick and thin black lines horizontally across the screen. This is until it starts to ghost horribly, smearing and leaving traces of the past image/desktop that stay there until I can't see a thing.

I noticed that if I turn off the computer for about 3 hours, the screen goes back to normal. But if I start to use it again, and depending on the type of load and usage time, it starts to go black and smearing again. However, I noticed that during the cold winter temperatures, the screen lasts way longer. Sometimes it doesn't even happen. This led me to believe it's heat-related. My Mac has also recommended me to give service to the battery, I don't know that's relevant information.

TL;DR - My screen ghosts and smears horribly after about 2 hours. It goes back to normal after resting for a couple of hours, which leads me to believe it's heat/usage time-related.

I'm confused about how this would affect the screen that way. How should I fix this issue? Is it fixable?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 5:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 6:43 AM

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

Screen Issue (Overheating?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.