You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using AOL mail on 4th generation iPad iOS 10.3.4

I am trying to add my AOL email account to my fourth generation iPad utilizing iOS 10.3.4. I keep getting errors that state Imap.aol.com password is incorrect. I have deleted the account… Reinstalled the account… Reset the iPad… Reset network settings… And also did a hard reset… I cannot get my AOL mail on my iPad. It is working on my iPhone. However my iPhone is an iPhone XR. Is it possible that I can no longer set up an email through the iPad because it is running iOS 10? Or is there a problem with the password or AOL? It works everywhere except the iPad. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 9:57 AM

3 replies

Feb 25, 2021 6:39 PM in response to AOLmailipad

Possibility that AOL no longer is supported on that nearly 8-1/2-year old iPad and a nearly 5-year old iOS version.

Sorry.

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a new iPad model OR a much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, used iPad models, from better known, trusted Apple product/device retailers/resellers, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are plenty of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Feb 25, 2021 7:04 PM in response to MichelPM

I was able to fix it. There was an update to AOL and I needed to obtain an app password thru AOL. They sent a notice some time ago and apparently I missed it. AOL walked me thru the steps and it’s working perfectly.

However I want to thank you for taking the time to respond. Especially in such a condescending manner. Hence the “sorry”. In addition your “solution” was totally inaccurate. A new iPad or updated iOS is unnecessary to solve this problem. Maybe you should take your “talents” elsewhere because they are obviously useless here.

I thought this forum was to assist each other and help solve problems, not to treat people with condescension and disrespect. I may have taken it if at least your solution was correct. But it wasn’t.

SORRY and good luck!

Feb 25, 2021 7:57 PM in response to AOLmailipad

The fact is your iPad is old and obsolete now.

There are many things these old 8-10-year old iPad models are simply NOT capable of, any longer.

You may have gotten your AOL mail to work for you, for now, but eventually, in the near future, these old 8-10 year old iPads will no longer function.

You will NOT be able to use them for simple Web surfing or email in the very near future.

FYI,

Apple ended support for all 8-10-year old iOS devices well over 4 years, ago, in 2016.

Third party app developers abandoned and stopped supporting these 8-10-year old iOS devices nearly 3 years, ago, in 2018.

There are, virtually, NO MORE third party apps available from the iOS App Store, any longer!

None!

AND, that over 4-year old default iOS Safari Web browser is too old, not secure and not safe to use to access the Internet, any longer.

There are virtually NO MORE third party Web browsers left for 8-10 year old iPads!

Available and more popular third party Web browser choices are pretty much GONE, now.

If you must use these old iPad models, here is what is left for still updated Web browsers.

Pickins’ are slim, now!

ALook Web browser ( A fairly new Web browser primarily designed for old iOS device versions, but is still available to newer iOS/iPadOS devices, as well )

Dolphin Web browser

Maxthon Web browser

TOR private browser

TOR + VPN private browser

Turbo VPN private browser

This is pretty much it for iOS 9/10 compatible, third party Web browsers today.

Sorry, but this is the reality for ALL 8-10-year old AND OLDER iOS devices now. Especially going into 2021!

You may not like being given this information, but it does not changed the facts.

Soon, iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen iPad Mini models will have no more functional, online support.

Sorry.

But maybe it’s really time to consider a new or “newer”, used iPad model.

Do what you will.

Using AOL mail on 4th generation iPad iOS 10.3.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.