You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

saved pages document .xml file missing

Why do my saved pages document not reopen and give me .xml file missing? How do I fix it? This occurs on both iMac and iPad

iMac 21.5″, 10.13

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 11:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 12:17 PM

iWork '09 applications saved their documents with an internal XML format, and Pages v5 thru v10.3.9 use an entirely different document format that is not backwards compatible with the iWork '09 applications.

When you leave an iWork '09 application running by clicking the red traffic light to close a document, any subsequent attempt to open a Pages v5 thru 10.3.9 document will result in a missing XML file dialog. This is because the still running iWork '09 application ambushes attempts to open any of these documents. You will need to ensure that the iWork '09 application has been formally quit, and that you use a right-click on these documents to use the Open with > (Pages) default secondary menu item.

I use a blue or yellow tag on my Pages documents to help distinguish them as either Pages '09, or newer Pages documents since Apple did not alter the icon view of them to help in that regard.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 25, 2021 12:17 PM in response to Biggrnpa

iWork '09 applications saved their documents with an internal XML format, and Pages v5 thru v10.3.9 use an entirely different document format that is not backwards compatible with the iWork '09 applications.

When you leave an iWork '09 application running by clicking the red traffic light to close a document, any subsequent attempt to open a Pages v5 thru 10.3.9 document will result in a missing XML file dialog. This is because the still running iWork '09 application ambushes attempts to open any of these documents. You will need to ensure that the iWork '09 application has been formally quit, and that you use a right-click on these documents to use the Open with > (Pages) default secondary menu item.

I use a blue or yellow tag on my Pages documents to help distinguish them as either Pages '09, or newer Pages documents since Apple did not alter the icon view of them to help in that regard.

saved pages document .xml file missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.