You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding photos to a Mac album from a Shared Photo Album - Can't be done !

Hi, my friend created a shared photo album so I could view all the photos of a recent trip. Now I want to get these into a new album on my Mac for permanent storage, after which we can delete the Shared Album.

But I can't achieve this: if I select all the photos/videos [here there are 486 photos & 13 videos], right-click and choose add to album (having previously created the new empty album) I get the error message "The operation couldn't be completed.(PHAssetExportRequestErrorDomain error 2)."

If I try dragging/dropping all the photos into my new Mac album nothing happens.

Alternatively I thought maybe I import all first then make a new album from this import, so again I select all photos, right-click and choose Import. Again nothing gets imported.

Perhaps there is a limit on number of simultaneous photos you can operate on? At any rate it would be good to know the best method of achieving a new album on my Mac from a Shared Photo album.

Thanks anyone,

DonSimon

MacBook Pro mid-2013

Catalina 10.15.7

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 6:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 8:57 AM

Thanks leonie (excuse no accent)

My workaround eventually:

1. Export all photos in the Shared Album to my Mac Downloads folder
  2. Import all these into Photos, selecting as destination my new, empty Mac Album

And yes, I now have all 486 photos in my Mac Album, and that Import was all done in one operation! And it's a plus that you can direct them straight into your newly created Mac Album.I notice also that they don't appear in the Imports album, I'm fine with that!

All I have to do now is make a note of this so I don't bother the forum with the same question once a year!

I think this is the only practical solution because trying to do it all within Photos just doesn't work.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 28, 2021 8:57 AM in response to léonie

Thanks leonie (excuse no accent)

My workaround eventually:

1. Export all photos in the Shared Album to my Mac Downloads folder
  2. Import all these into Photos, selecting as destination my new, empty Mac Album

And yes, I now have all 486 photos in my Mac Album, and that Import was all done in one operation! And it's a plus that you can direct them straight into your newly created Mac Album.I notice also that they don't appear in the Imports album, I'm fine with that!

All I have to do now is make a note of this so I don't bother the forum with the same question once a year!

I think this is the only practical solution because trying to do it all within Photos just doesn't work.

Feb 28, 2021 7:55 AM in response to tetters

I am seeing this error "The operation couldn't be completed.(PHAssetExportRequestErrorDomain error 2).", when I am selecting several photos at once in the smart album for importing, and one of them has already been imported. As a test you may want to import smaller groups of photos, not all at once.

• Can you import a single photo?
  • If you can import a single photo, select more and try to import them. When the error occurs again, select less , until you can import further photos.

Try out this way to isolate the photos, that cannot be imported with a batch of photos and skip them.

Feb 28, 2021 7:10 AM in response to tetters

I've noticed that I wrote here a year ago with same problem; it turned out that booting in Safe Mode fixed the import problem then, but it doesn't now. Now nothing appears in the Import folder.

The only difference is that then I owned the Shared Photo Album, this time I'm just a subscriber. Do I need the Owner to give me a permission to use the photos?

I've already done the Option open of Photos and it created a new PhotoLibrary which is now set as my default library.

Adding photos to a Mac album from a Shared Photo Album - Can't be done !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.