You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to consolidate multiple Photos and iPhoto libraries into one Photos library in OS Big Sur

Somehow I have managed to create multiple Photos and iPhoto libraries on 3 different disks (see attached screen shots).

I have read the Apple Support document on consolidating Photos libraries, but I have a mixture of iPhoto and Photo libraries of different sizes and I want to be sure all of their pictures are contained in my ultimate single library, which will be on an external drive and regularly backed up to another drive.

I do not want to put my photos in iCloud and I do not want any of them on my iMac's internal HD (Emlagh).

Thanks for any assistance

GerriG

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 11:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 11:18 AM

The best way if you don't want to use iCloud temporarily is to do the following;

1 - convert all iPhoto libraries to Photos libraries.

2 - user the paid version of PowerPhotos to merger the various Photos libraries into one comprehensive library. This PowerPhotos help site describes how: Merging libraries. You can put the library wherever you want. Do all of the merging on the EHD and make sure it's formatted as shown in this screenshot:

and connected by cable directly to your Mac.

PowerPhotos will not include duplicate photos in the merge.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2021 11:18 AM in response to ggcavecreek

The best way if you don't want to use iCloud temporarily is to do the following;

1 - convert all iPhoto libraries to Photos libraries.

2 - user the paid version of PowerPhotos to merger the various Photos libraries into one comprehensive library. This PowerPhotos help site describes how: Merging libraries. You can put the library wherever you want. Do all of the merging on the EHD and make sure it's formatted as shown in this screenshot:

and connected by cable directly to your Mac.

PowerPhotos will not include duplicate photos in the merge.

Feb 26, 2021 11:29 AM in response to ggcavecreek

The procedure from Apple's support document (Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support) will currently not work on macOS 11 Big Sur, if you want to export edited versions as JPEGs. Because of a bug in Photos 6 the metadata will be missing from the exported JPEGs. The merging with the full, paid version of PowerPhotos, as described by OT, will give a very good result, unless your main library is syncing with iCloud Photos and "Optimise Mac Storage" is enabled.

If you are using iCloud Photos, I would merge the libraries directly in iCloud, as described here: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 V… - Apple Community

Feb 27, 2021 9:17 AM in response to ggcavecreek

If you hold down the option key while starting photos you get the choice to open other libraries - either from the list provided, or by clicking "other library" if it is not listed. If you open an iPhoto library, photos will convert it to a format it can open.

It is a good idea to make sure you have backups of the iPhoto libraries first, as this process can (rarely) go wrong.

Feb 27, 2021 1:23 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks to all and to PowerPhotos I now have one single complete Photos Library on an external HD attached to my Big Sur iMac!

When I tried to do the "drag and drop" to the Photos icon of my libraries labelled "iPhoto Library", Photos told me they had already been converted to Photos Library.

So instead I opened PowerPhotos and did the Merge using only the 4 Photo libraries on the external drives as source and a New Library on my newly APFS formatted external HD.

The Merge was successful and there were no duplicates and nothing was lost.

I appreciate the help from this forum.

GerriG

How to consolidate multiple Photos and iPhoto libraries into one Photos library in OS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.