You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone was stolen then I fell for phishing scam? Is my information being accessed?

My iPhone XR was stolen around 2 weeks ago so I put it into lost mode and locked it. Nothing has happened with it since then. Today, I got a text that said this:

Dear Apple Customer,        

The system has detected that your lost iPhone is activated with a new SIM card inserted. Please log on to https://Apple.gps-id.us.com/us

immediately to check its current number and location. If you cannot obtain the URL, please reply with any content to obtain the URL, helping you to find your lost iPhone.

Apple Support

At first I thought it was legit and entered my apple ID and password. But then I looked back and realized this didn’t look legit and changed my password ASAP. Then I signed out all other devices in case they got mine, though I’m not sure if that was a good idea or not. I want to know if it’s possible for them to access my data or not? I have a lot of personal information in my phone like passwords and social security number.

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 9:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 9:58 AM

You are correct that it was a phishing scam and was probably originated by the thief to get your Apple ID and Password. This is because the thief had run into the Activation Lock. To remove the Activation Lock, the thief needed your Apple ID and Password. Note that the thief had gotten to the Activation Lock point by erasing your iPhone and therefore does not have any data from that iPhone. The thief may have removed the Activation Lock once s/he got your Apple ID and Password. Your stolen iPhone may now be in use however without any of your stored data.

You also immediately changed the Password to your Apple ID. This was a smart move once you realized that it was a phishing scam. You also signed out of all your devices. Since your Apple ID's Password has been changed by you, you can sign all of your devices back into it safely. If you stolen iPhone does not appear in the device list then assume that the thief managed to get past the Activation Lock and is using your stolen iPhone. Note that s/he does not have your data. If the stolen iPhone appears in your device list then s/he was not successful in removing the Activation Lock and your iPhone cannot be put to use. LEAVE your stolen iPhone in your device list if it appears. You can also call your carrier and have them blacklist the stolen iPhone.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 28, 2021 9:58 AM in response to edencam

You are correct that it was a phishing scam and was probably originated by the thief to get your Apple ID and Password. This is because the thief had run into the Activation Lock. To remove the Activation Lock, the thief needed your Apple ID and Password. Note that the thief had gotten to the Activation Lock point by erasing your iPhone and therefore does not have any data from that iPhone. The thief may have removed the Activation Lock once s/he got your Apple ID and Password. Your stolen iPhone may now be in use however without any of your stored data.

You also immediately changed the Password to your Apple ID. This was a smart move once you realized that it was a phishing scam. You also signed out of all your devices. Since your Apple ID's Password has been changed by you, you can sign all of your devices back into it safely. If you stolen iPhone does not appear in the device list then assume that the thief managed to get past the Activation Lock and is using your stolen iPhone. Note that s/he does not have your data. If the stolen iPhone appears in your device list then s/he was not successful in removing the Activation Lock and your iPhone cannot be put to use. LEAVE your stolen iPhone in your device list if it appears. You can also call your carrier and have them blacklist the stolen iPhone.

Axel F.

Phone was stolen then I fell for phishing scam? Is my information being accessed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.