You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an iphone pro 12 as a camera right out of the box? Or must it be connected to a network?

Can i purchase an iphone 12pro and use it only as a camera right out of the box without it being connected to a network or phone number. I only want to use the camera app, have the pics stored in the iphone and have the function of download with the charging cord to my ipad.

Much thanks for help.

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 4:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 4:41 PM

Yes. Mostly. Past the initial iPhone activation.

Your iPhone must be activated before it can be used, that activation can use a borrowed SIM card for the associated carrier if your iPhone was purchased carrier-locked or can be a borrowed SIM from most any carrier if the iPhone is not carrier locked.

Once activated, there is no need to maintain a cellular plan.

You're probably not purchasing a carrier-locked iPhone if you don't want to use your iPhone as a phone, as a carrier-locked iPhone involves a cellular plan. With no carrier lock, you can use or buy a pay-as-you-go SIM or borrow pretty much any other SIM that'll work in your iPhone, and you'll need to borrow the SIM only for the very short duration of the device activation process; an hour or so, and usually much less.

Here is the setup process, which mentions the activation step: Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 28, 2021 4:41 PM in response to Lathecollector

Yes. Mostly. Past the initial iPhone activation.

Your iPhone must be activated before it can be used, that activation can use a borrowed SIM card for the associated carrier if your iPhone was purchased carrier-locked or can be a borrowed SIM from most any carrier if the iPhone is not carrier locked.

Once activated, there is no need to maintain a cellular plan.

You're probably not purchasing a carrier-locked iPhone if you don't want to use your iPhone as a phone, as a carrier-locked iPhone involves a cellular plan. With no carrier lock, you can use or buy a pay-as-you-go SIM or borrow pretty much any other SIM that'll work in your iPhone, and you'll need to borrow the SIM only for the very short duration of the device activation process; an hour or so, and usually much less.

Here is the setup process, which mentions the activation step: Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Can I use an iphone pro 12 as a camera right out of the box? Or must it be connected to a network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.