You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to use my 32 bit apps on my MacBook Pro 2012

How can I use my 32 bit apps again after updating to Catalina on my MacBook pro

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 12:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 12:44 AM

You can't. You will have to update your 32 bit applications to the latest version which should by now be 64 bit version, or find alternatives if a 64 bit version is not available. Software developers were told nearly three years ago that 64 bit only Macintosh operating systems were coming.

In their support document 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later Apple advises:

"Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS."

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2021 12:44 AM in response to markfromhemet

You can't. You will have to update your 32 bit applications to the latest version which should by now be 64 bit version, or find alternatives if a 64 bit version is not available. Software developers were told nearly three years ago that 64 bit only Macintosh operating systems were coming.

In their support document 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later Apple advises:

"Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS."

Mar 1, 2021 1:51 AM in response to markfromhemet

Whether or not this may help to 'upgrade those 32-bit apps and drivers' after the fact

since change-over was before Catalina 10.15.7 hit the pan, this free resource is helpful.

• Go64 ~ Check Your Apps and Prepare for a 64-bit World | stclairsoft

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/index.html

"A fast, free way to get a comprehensive look at your 64-bit app

compatibility & avoid surprises before installing macOS Catalina."

~ macworld / editors choice

"Quickly scan your disk for applications, see which ones are

32-bit, and find upgrade information with the click of a button.

Go64 makes it easy to plan for the future."

Helps to read remainder of fine print in bottom of Go64 page:

How do I find the 32-bit apps on my system?

Apple's support article explains how to use the built-in macOS

System Report to identify 32-bit apps on your system..

~ continued..

I need to use my 32 bit apps on my MacBook Pro 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.