You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reduce pdf file size Big Sur

When I try to reduce pdf file size in Big Sur Preview using export and the Quartz filters, the Reduce File Size filter reduces a 9.9 MB doc to an unusable/unreadable 92 KB doc

What happened to the ability to chose a file size reduction?

Hope do I get some control back on this?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 2:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 2:52 PM

Open ColorSync Utility and create additional Quartz filters for PDF files like this:

As you can see I've created a number of filters to choose from in Preview. Click on this button:

to dupilcate your only filter, click on the cog button to change the settings to what you want for a second filter.

The new filters will be available at the bottom of the Filter menu when saving PDFs.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 2, 2021 2:52 PM in response to rwzpv

Open ColorSync Utility and create additional Quartz filters for PDF files like this:

As you can see I've created a number of filters to choose from in Preview. Click on this button:

to dupilcate your only filter, click on the cog button to change the settings to what you want for a second filter.

The new filters will be available at the bottom of the Filter menu when saving PDFs.

Mar 5, 2021 5:53 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you. However, in macOS 11.2.2, the various dpi compressions your screenshot shows as Builtin Filters do not exist.

I had to create custom filters to get that range of dpi.

The Builtin Reduce File Size filter is set for High Quality, but Set Scale is checked at 0%, Resolution is unchecked, and Constrain Size is set to 128 min and 512 max pixels, and Image Compression Quality is set to medium.

reduce pdf file size Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.