You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app : new incoming message does not trigger the set sound, does not cause a notification to appear

Hello,

In my brand new, just-installed, MacBook Pro M1 Big Sur I can't get the Messages app to emit a sound or display a notification when a new message is received.

I have reviewed the Preferences settings of the application and the setting of Notifications in System Preferences; both seem to be all right, a new incoming message should trigger the chime and a notification should appear.

Any idea what I may be doing not right ?

Thanks !

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 3:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 5:38 PM

Hello nunof,

We'd love to assist you with your Message app notifications. Let's start by viewing how you have the notifications set up for the app using the steps here: Manage notifications from Messages on Mac

Take care

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 6, 2021 9:59 AM in response to Eric--F

Hello Eric~F,

Followed carefully all of your suggested steps and ... IT WORKS NOW !

I am not sure I understand why but that is of secondary importance. I have tried all possible (well, almost ...) combinations of settings in System Preferences > Notifications and all of a sudden the thing started behaving.

Many thanks again for your willingness to help me out. My wife, (whose new computer I have now finished setting up) extends equally her thanks to you.

Messages app : new incoming message does not trigger the set sound, does not cause a notification to appear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.