You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password-protected PDF

I can't get this to work. I am on Big Sur 11.2.2. Opened a PDF file, selected from the Preview menu File > Export > checked 'Encrypt' > entered password and verified password > Saved under a new name. The newly saved and encrypted file remains as visible and as accessible as its non-encrypted version. I emailed the file to another email address of mine to test. The recipient was able to open the attachment without any problem and without a need for a password. What gives? Is this feature buggy?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 6:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 12:41 PM

What I see is an exported, encrypted PDF with a lock symbol on it. Double-clicking results in a blank challenge panel that says:

This document is password protected. Please enter the password below. Only the correct password will allow one to open the PDF document. I suggest you update to macOS 11.2.3, and reinvestigate if the problem persists.

I am using macOS 11.2.3.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 18, 2021 12:41 PM in response to he206

What I see is an exported, encrypted PDF with a lock symbol on it. Double-clicking results in a blank challenge panel that says:

This document is password protected. Please enter the password below. Only the correct password will allow one to open the PDF document. I suggest you update to macOS 11.2.3, and reinvestigate if the problem persists.

I am using macOS 11.2.3.

Mar 19, 2021 10:42 PM in response to he206

No, VikingOSX; that was not the solution. I figured out the issue: the macOS was not seeing PDF documents I saved on it from other sources as actual PDF. So on my Mac, I exported to PDF those documents that were already PDF and re-saved. This did the trick: my Mac recognized them as PDF in Preview, and the encryption worked like a charm.

Password-protected PDF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.